Triton Hose Company operated from this Station on Warren Street in Tunkhannock Borough from 1908 - 2000
On October 27, 1870 fire ravaged Tunkhannock Boroughs Business District. The closest Fire Company was summoned from Wilkes-Barre, nearly 30 miles away. Those brave men established a water supply from the Susquehanna River, utilizing one hose line, and were able to stop the fire from spreading further. Despite their efforts the fire destroyed most of the District.
Following that disaster, determined Borough residents took responsibility for fire suppression in their community and on June 1, 1871 the Triton Hose Company No. 1 was organized. A "Hose House" was established in a small, wooden, two-story building near the intersection of West Tioga and Putnam Streets. The name "Triton" being derived from the Mythological Greek God, the messenger of the sea.
Prior to 1900 the fire company moved operations ,one block North, to a brick building on Marion Street across from the Wyoming County Court House. The Court House bell was utilized as the fire alarm. The Marion Street Hose House subsequently became the Tunkhannock Public Library in 1911.
In late 1908, Triton Hose Company agreed to erect a new hose house on Warren Street for the sum of approximately $10,000.
The building was subsequently equipped with two bowling alleys, since defunct, and in 1974 underwent an extensive expansion to accommodate the expanding Company (top picture). The expansion project was designed to add apparatus bays and a large banquet facility while accommodating the Tunkhannock Borough Police Department and Borough Offices. The banquet facility quickly became iconic in the community by hosting events from wedding receptions to Fireman's Federation events.
In 1921 Triton Hose upgraded from the Courthouse bell alarm to an electrically operated siren on the roof of the Warren Street Hose House (top picture). In that same year, the Company's first chemical truck was purchased from the Buffalo Fire Extinguisher Company.
In 1929 Triton acquired their first pumper from American LaFrance. This pumper was ahead of its time and greatly expanded firefighting operations. Members lovingly nicknamed this engine "Old Glory" which has been fully restored and is proudly displayed in the foyer of the new firehouse. She remains in use for parades, special events and has carried some of our bravest to their final resting place.
Since 1948 Triton Hose Company has continually upgraded apparatus. Some notable pieces included a 1948 American LaFrance Scout fire truck, 1955 Ford-American LaFrance pumper equipped with brush fire equipment,
1966 Ward LaFrance pumper and an Army truck tanker.
Prior to 1977 Triton Hose Company utilized a "fire phone" system of response. When a citizen called the Company, the call would ring simultaneously at several members’ residences acting as a "party line". A member, or their spouse, would obtain the necessary information and activate the siren by pushing a button adjacent to their telephone. Members would then call the firehouse number and be given the type and location of the emergency. Other members, hearing the siren, would respond to the firehouse.
In 1977 the Company purchased 40 Motorola Minitors and portable radios for the Chiefs. There were 2 base stations, one at the firehouse and the other in Chief Jim Rail's residence where Jim’s wife Polly became the "voice" of Triton Hose. She manned the radio 24-7/365 taking calls from the "fire phone", tripping the tones and dispatching the calls. This addition saved valuable time by eliminating the need for members to seek out the information. All dispatch operations are now conducted by the Wyoming County Communications Center located on SR6 East.
Today, approximately 50 active firefighters are equipped to respond with Minitors and full turnout gear.
In 1981 the Company purchased a MAKO air system facilitating in house refill of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) cylinders.
By the late 1990's Triton Hose Company No. 1 was experiencing space limitations at the Warren Street Hose House. Evolving fire equipment and apparatus, as well as the need for training areas, prompted the Company to acquire property on West Tioga Street. Elder members of the company were visionaries in foreseeing this need and had begun preparations to bring a new hose house to fruition many years prior to the need.
Under the watchful eyes of the elder members, a new Station was erected on this property by Roy W. Piper Construction. In 2000 Triton Hose Company No. 1 occupied its new home.